Monday, March 28, 2011

Week 2: Organize Your Priorities

Does it ever feel like you spend all your hours and days doing but not living?
Yes, it absolutely feels like a huge cycle that is so difficult to get out of.
What are your top ten priorities? (Not in any particular order)
1) My children's health and view of the world
2) My relationship with Aaron
3) Buddhism
4) Eating healthy
5) Exercising
6) Finishing my work while at work
7) Saving money
8) Crafting
9) Reading
10) Establishing lasting friendships

Are you living these priorities each day or even every week?
I would have to say no. I don't take enough time to devote to all of these things.

This week's goals:
To help you realize what your priorities are ask yourself questions such as:

What do you value most?
Getting into better health and establishing lasting friendships.

What things are most important to me:
good health, strong relationship with Aaron, communication with children, peace of mind, good friends, spiritual fulfillment, travel, education, a clean house

Why am I here?
I believe that I am here to make other's lives as fulfilled as possible.

Where am I going?
I'm going to explore the world.

What is my purpose?
I am going to help others and live a full life of enlightenment.

Compare a list of all the activities that you participate in with your top ten priorities.
I wake up late, scurry the kids to school, rush to work, play on the computer, email, help others, try to get my desk organized, put off phone calls, leave work, pick up kids, take them to park if weather permits, go home and cook dinner, read to the kids before bed, clean the house, watch tv, take a bath, go to bed. They are pretty different....

Decide on activities that can be eliminated to make time for your top ten. Focus on cutting out activities that take your time but don't bring you joy.
Instead of waking up late, I could wake up early and get the kids up early to eat a good breakfast (kid's health). Watching tv is usually mine and Aaron's time to cuddle and enjoy each other. When the kids go to bed, instead of watching tv right away, I can go across the street and chant and meditate with the neighbors. During my work day, instead of playing on the computer, I could focus on getting bits of exercise in. Also instead of playing, I could work harder on finishing my work. Instead of frivolous shopping on the internet or at stores, I could save up all that money. I need to start keeping an expense record so I will see just how much I'm spending on things. While I watch tv, I could get my crafts out, and weekends could be for crafting. Every night, I could set aside 30 minutes, even if it's while I take a bath, to read. Every week, I need to schedule a playdate with a friend or two to establish the bond of my relationships.

Tips:
Read your top ten list on a regular basis. (Print it out and post it on the wall by the computer monitor.)

Minimize energy spent with negative people. (Stay in my office at work and don't gossip; don't try to contact those who will drain my energy, no matter how alluring it is.)

Don't forget to pray. (Go across the street daily or every other day to meditate and chant.)

Make a list of things you and your family like to do that cost little or no money, and then try to do as many of these as you can each week. (Sit down with the family and make a list.)

The next time you are about to spend a chunk of your time, ask yourself: Does this activity help me stick to my priorities or is is taking time away from them?

Remember, much of what the media sells and portrays is make believe. Don't compare your life to TV, advertisements, or celebrities. Live your life the way that is best for you and your family.

Use the ten-minute rule to help you accomplish more. The next time you find yourself with an extra ten minutes, challenge yourself to use it on a priority or a goal. You may think ten minutes does not sound like much, but when you add up a bunch of ten-minute intervals throughout the week, it can make a big difference.

Stay Organized:

Once a Month:
Go on a date with your partner.
Take time to call or write a friend that you need to catch up with.
Spend the day out with your child.
Organize one room, drawer, or closet.

Every 3-6 Months:
Review your list and add or subtract priorities as they change in your life.
Spend time with an elderly relative.
Do something positive for our environment.
Complete a long-term project that has been lingering on your To Do list for several weeks.

Once a Year:
When you purchase your new planner for the year, schedule your priorities first.
Evaluate your extracurricular activities from the past year and decide if you want to continue those activities in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment