Monday, March 28, 2011

Recap of Week 1

As far as sleep goes, I've been doing pretty good at sleeping for a limited amount of time. I cut back on my naps after work, but then around 6 or 7, I would fall asleep on the couch. The lethargy would catch up with me and I'd be out without even realizing it. Usually, I would take a nap and KNOW that was my goal, but with this, I would be willing myself to stay awake but was unable to. I have also had trouble waking up on time, much less waking up early.
I have not been very good about jotting down the list of things to do. In fact, I've been relying on the whole, "I'll do it when I get everything organized. Then it will be easier." Not a very good reason not to write the list.
I tried writing every day last week. I would even have the website up, but I would be blank...or I would be so busy with work. Or I'd be playing a game on the computer and not be able to pull away from it. I'm still a work in progress.
We have severely limited the amount of tv we watch, as well as what the kids watch. From Monday until Friday, Tahiri had not watched any tv at home and Jude had watched 30 minutes. It was amazing to know that they were actually playing with their toys, and coloring, and we were eating dinner together. As for the weekend, all bets were off.
I have not took time out just to be. However, I just set three alarms: 10:30, 1:30, and 6:00 where I can practice sitting and meditating.
Which brings me to meditating. I actually meditated for 15 minutes this week, at one sitting, with my neighbors. It was incredible. It hurt my body and I was slightly uncomfortable, but I think that is to be expected.
I have not exercised as much as I'd like. We have been out to the park 3 times last week, but I don't think that was enough. I need to work on that a lot more in the coming weeks.
I have tried to schedule me time, but it has been difficult this week. I guess that's why it's a work in progress. I have made leaps and bounds in some things, but others still need work.
On eliminating energy drainers: I am proud to say that I have worked through some of the clutter in my house, and it's not even done yet. There is much more to come. On unhealthy relationships, I am very proud to say that I have deleted a number from my phone, in every aspect, and I really wanted to have closure, but I didn't need it. I realized that it was too much for me to do at this point. I have also deleted my account on momslikeme.com, because it was draining my energy. Some of the moms were so mean spirited and felt that they knew everything, and I didn't have the time or energy to fight with them. Plus, with my new Buddhist lifestyle, fighting is definitely not the answer.
As for my weekly goals:
Get out and exercise at least 3 times a week. I did this!!! I would get out of my car and go immediately to the daycare (which is only a block away) to get the kids. It was awesome. Then, we'd walk straight across the street to the playground and play for a good hour or so. We did this 3 days last week. I was extremely proud of myself.
Put away the salt shaker. We actually watched our salt intake this week. We were careful to not give the kids too much of it, and we didn't even go on our weekly McDonald's outing.
Teach your kids what to do in an emergency. We went over the phone numbers and I taught him about 911.
Limit everyone's screen time. We also did this!! Unbelievable how much more time you have when you eliminate this. Aaron even got into it and didn't get on the computer until after the kids were in bed. It was awesome to feel more like a family.

Can't wait for week 2!!

No comments:

Post a Comment